Skip to main content Skip to search

Posts by Steve

Understanding Trump’s Tax Plan

What Changes Will you See on Your Taxes in the Next Few Years

The first thing to keep in mind is that all changes for households will expire after 2025.

The tax cuts for businesses are permanent.

What to expect:

  • Individual Income Tax Rates will decrease in 2018.  To see the rates click here.
  • The personal exemption which is $4050 per person for 2017 is repealed in favor of a higher standard deduction and higher child tax credit.
    • Standard deduction is raised to$ 12,000 for single tax payers and $24,000 for married filing jointly
    • The child tax credit is raised to $2000 per child with the cut off for the credit increasing to $400,000 for married filing jointly.
  • State and Local tax deductions will be capped at $10,000
  • Mortgage Deductions: No change for current mortgage holders, but limit drops from $1.1 million including $100,000 on home equity, to $750,000 for new mortgages and no deductions for home equity.
  • Taxpayers will be able to deduct medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of AGI in 2017 and 2018 but this goes back to 10% in 2019.
  • Previous itemized deduction limits are repealed through 2025 tax year.

For more information read this article.



Read more

Enrolled Tribal Member Certification

New for 2017, form FTB 3504 (Enrolled Tribal Member Certification) will be used to certify that tribal members qualify for tax exemption for income earned on Indian country.  The form is used to certify that you live within Indian country and meet the following tax exemption requirements:

  • You are an enrolled member of a federally recognized Indian tribe
  • You live in that tribe’s Indian country
  • The income earned is sourced in that same Indian country

Form 3504 should be filed between January 1st and October 15th of the year following the tax year you are reporting.  For example, for the 2016 tax year you would file the form between Jan. 1, 2017 and Oct. 15, 2017.  You can file it with your Form 540 or separately.

O’Conner’s Tax Service can help you with this requirement.  Call us at 619-220-5277.

For more information visit the California Franchise Tax Board’s website:

Income Taxation of Native Americans

Read more